Friday, January 05, 2007

Uniquely You...the challenge

After much waiting, I finally got the Uniquely You dress form this fall and I am well, with trepid anticipation, getting ready to carve. Yes, with electric knife.

Prep
I have spent several weeks grinding my teeth over the fitting the cover to my body. I had to first stablize the rather flimsy fabric with cotton duck and literally pull it all apart. To save on trying to sew the massive back zipper, I sewed over the existing piece with the stronger fabric. I could not think of any other way to retain the massive zipper and not kill my machine. When I did that, I decided to slowly take apart the whole cover, re size it to me, adjust each piece, use that as a lining piece, and remake the whole thing. Heck, why waste the flimsy fabric, turn it into lining. The project took about three weeks, doing one panel at a time. It would not take this long had I not been grinding my teeth the whole time. I would run out of patience after each piece and have to go back to it after working on something else for a bit.

So, now after many fittings, I have the cover fitted to me. Now, I have to be brave and actually carve out the dress form. I have taken all the measurements and will try to find some cheaper foam in town and practice with the knife. I see this dragging out a bit, but I must show my patience.

No comments: